We, at the Dialogue of Civilizations Rhodes Forum, are convinced that culture is the bright bond that ties the individual to society. It is an enabler of self-esteem and a driver of social cohesion. Culture is needed to build and strengthen peaceful, creative, and inclusive societies. It is all the more crucial due to the need to address the fears of populations weakened by an accelerated process of globalisation.
We launch the Rhodes Call to:
- Emphasise the major role played by culture in meeting individuals’ quests for self-fulfilment;
- Stress the need to empower citizens with resources to facilitate the dialogue between cultures and help them live together with others in full respects of the rights recognised in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights;
- Recall that the arts and culture-related sector gives rise to cultural, social, and economic value through the significant revenues and employment;
- Urge all stakeholders to integrate culture in the sustainable development agenda within their sphere of influence and share best practice of concrete action;
- Engage the financial community to take into account the cultural impact of investment, as well as the social and environmental impact, because culture fuels innovation and creativity that promotes harmony between human beings as well as harmony between nature and people.
Rhodes, 11 October 2019.
Pascale Thumerelle, Founder and President of Respethica
Jean-Christophe Bas, CEO of the DOC Research Institute