On Friday, 31 July, the DOC will partner with the Institute for a Community with Shared Future (ICSF), a think tank initiated by the Communication University of China (CUC), and the Malaysian Centre for New Inclusive Asia (CNIA) to hold a webinar themed ‘China and the world: changing reality and shared future’. During the event, experts and researchers from around the world will present their understandings and perceptions with rational arguments.
The COVID-19 pandemic poses severe challenges across continents. 2020 has undoubtedly been one of the toughest years for nations and societies or even the entire human race vis-a-vis global crisis and threats. Meanwhile, the world has witnessed ever-growing tensions in international relations, in particular that of China and the United States. The changing reality inevitably affects all countries in the shaping of a new world order.
Questions to be addressed by the speakers:
- What is your perception of the consequences of the pandemic for China and the World?
- While China and the United States are on a collision course, what are the significant implications to China and the world?
- How will the strategy of containing China affect the world? And how could we re-examine the relations of China and the world?
- What is your understanding of a Community With A Shared Future and other discourses promoted by China under the changing international political landscape?
- If there are strategic opportunities and solutions for China and world, what would China and the world choose and be preparing for this moment and the future?
Friday, 31 July 2020, 13-15:00 CEST
Session one: keynote speeches (90 minutes, 8 minutes per speaker)
Chair: Yanqiu Zhang, Professor, Deputy Dean of the Institute for a
Community with Shared Future, Director of Africa Communication
Research Center, Communication University of China
Speakers, in alphabetical order:
- S.M. Ali, Adjunct Professor at Institute of China Studies
University of Malaysia
- Jean-Christophe Bas, CEO of Dialogue of Civilizations Research
- Kerry Brown, Professor, Director of Lau China Institute of King’s
College London, United Kingdom
- ZhiKai Gao, Chair Professor of Soochow University, Vice President
of the Center for China and Globalization, China
- Bert Hofman, Professor, Director of East Asian Institute, National
University of Singapore, Singapore
- Koh King Kee, President of Centre For New Inclusive Asia, Malaysia
- Klaus W. Larres, Professor, Richard M Krasno Distinguished
Professor of History & International Affairs, The University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States
- Huailiang Li, Professor, Dean of the Institute for a Community with
Shared Future, Communication University of China, China
- Anbin Shi, Professor, Associate Dea of School of Journalism and
Communication, Tsinghua University, Ministry of Education
(Changjiang) Endowment Professor of Global Communication, China
- Cobus van Staden, Research and Analysis Director, The China
Africa Project; Senior Researcher in China-Africa
Relations at SAIIA’s Foreign Policy Programme, South Africa
Session two: Q&A and discussion (30 minutes)
Chair: Deqiang Ji, Professor, Deputy Dean of the Institute for a Community
with Shared Future, Communication University of China, China